South Korean smartphone giant Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd introduced a new line of premium smartphones — Galaxy S10 — to celebrate its 10-year anniversary since the launch of its first Galaxy S.
In the globally-anticipated Galaxy UNPACKED 2019, Samsung introduced the world to the newest additions to its Galaxy family at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium today.
The Galaxy S10 line — with four unique devices, namely Galaxy S10, Galaxy S10+, Galaxy S10e and Galaxy S10 5G — features the all-new Dynamic AMOLED display, next-generation camera, and intelligent performance for consumers looking for a supercharged device.
From brand new power sharing capabilities to AI-powered performance enhancement and Intelligent Wi-Fi, Galaxy S10 — built with premium hardware and machine-learning-based software — is claimed to be Samsung’s most intelligent device yet.
The 5.8-inch Galaxy S10e is a compact-sized device that offers all the premium essentials on a flat screen.
Meanwhile, the 6.7-inch Galaxy S10 5G is created for those who are ready for the fastest available speeds and the most powerful features.
According to DJ Koh, president and CEO of Samsung Electronics’ IT & mobile communications division, since its launch 10 years ago, the Galaxy S series has stood for premium innovation and the ability to find the device that’s right for the consumers.
“Galaxy S10 builds on that incredible legacy, and delivers breakthrough display, camera, and performance innovations. With four premium devices, each built for a unique consumer in mind, Samsung is leveraging a decade of industry leadership to usher in a new era of smartphone technology,” he said.
Here are the four things you need to know about the new Samsung Galaxy S10:
Dynamic AMOLED Display
Galaxy S10 is made with the world’s first Dynamic AMOLED display. As the first HDR10+-certified smartphone, the display delivers vivid digital content, and with dynamic tone mapping. Consumers could see a wider range of colour for a realistic picture, and enjoy the world’s most accurate colours on a mobile device – even in harsh sunlight.
Moreover, the Dynamic AMOLED display also reduces blue light through its TÜV Rheinland-certified Eye Comfort display without compromising picture quality or adding a filter. Notably, Galaxy S10’s unique Infinity-O Display packs an array of sensors and camera technology into a hole-in display – so that consumers can maximize their screen real estate without any distractions.
The Dynamic AMOLED display also includes the first-ever embedded Ultrasonic Fingerprint Scanner that reads the 3D contours of the users’ physical thumbprint – instead of a 2D image of it – for improved anti-spoofing. This next generation biometrics authentication offers vault-like security to keep the smartphone safe.
• Ultra-Wide Lens: A first for the S Series, Galaxy S10 offers an Ultra-Wide Lens with a 123-degree field of view, like the human eye, so what we see is what’s in frame. This is perfect for impressive landscape shots, big panoramas and even fitting the entire extended family into the photo.
• Super Steady & High-Quality Video Recording: Galaxy S10 offers Super Steady recording with digital stabilization technology that allows us to capture the moment. Both front and rear cameras can shoot in up-to UHD quality, and in an industry first, the rear camera gives us the flexibility to record in HDR10+.
• AI Camera: Galaxy S10 makes already smart features more accurate with a Neural Processing Unit so we can get pro-grade shots worth sharing without having to manually select any advanced camera settings. Scene Optimizer can now recognise and more accurately process additional scenes. And with Shot Suggestion, Galaxy S10 offers automatic composition recommendations.
Intelligent Performance Features
• Wireless PowerShare: It is noteworthy that Samsung introduces Wireless PowerShare on Galaxy S10. As an industry-first, Galaxy S10’s Wireless PowerShare will also charge compatible wearable devices. In addition, Galaxy S10 is capable of charging itself and a second device simultaneously via Wireless PowerShare, while connected to a regular charger, enabling us to leave our second charger at home while on a trip.
• Leveraging AI-capabilities: The new AI software on the Galaxy S10 automatically optimizes battery, CPU, RAM, and even device temperature based on how we use our phone, and continues to learn and get better over time.
• Intelligent Wi-Fi: Galaxy S10 comes with Intelligent Wi-Fi that allows for an uninterrupted and safe connection by seamlessly switching between Wi-Fi and LTE. Galaxy S10 also supports the new Wi-Fi 6 standard, making it possible for better Wi-Fi performance when connected to a compatible router.
A New Era of 5G Connectivity
Galaxy S10 5G is Samsung’s first flagship 5G smartphone. With Galaxy S10 5G, consumers on a 5G network can download a full season of a TV show in minutes, play graphics-rich cloud games with virtually no lag, enjoy enhanced VR and AR experiences and stay in touch with friends and family via real-time 4K video calls.
To take full advantage of 5G connectivity, Galaxy S10 5G features the largest-ever Galaxy S series display, the 6.7-inch Infinity-O Display; Samsung’s 3D Depth Camera for 3D-image capturing to power Video Live Focus and Automatic Ruler.
Galaxy S10, Galaxy S10+ and Galaxy S10e will be available in Prism White, Prism Black, Prism Green, Prism Blue, Canary Yellow and Flamingo Pink.
Interestingly, Galaxy S10+ will also be available in two, all-new, premium ceramic models: Ceramic Black and Ceramic White.
Device prices as follows:
Galaxy S10e - RM2,699
Galaxy S10 - RM3,299
Galaxy S10+ (128GB) - RM3,699
For those looking for bigger capacity, the Galaxy S10+ (512GB) retails at RM4,599. The Galaxy S10, Galaxy S10+ and Galaxy S10e will be available in stores and online beginning March 8, 2019 in selected markets. For more info, see here.
Assistant editor (Capital Markets & Companies) Liew Jia Teng is reporting live from Bill Graham Civic Auditorium, San Francisco. Stay tuned for updates on the Galaxy Fold.