Established 30 years ago, EY Entrepreneur of the Year (WEOY) is a unique global programme that recognises entrepreneurial achievement and innovations among individuals and companies that demonstrate vision and leadership.
Joining more than 60 country winners to compete at this coveted annual WEOY event in Monte Carlo next year is Dang Tai Luk, the executive director and CEO of Mynews Holding Bhd, who was named EOY 2019 Malaysia yesterday at an evening gala event in The Majestic Hotel Kuala Lumpur.
Known for being a role model for purposeful entrepreneurship, the 59-year-old has established initiatives that serve communities and change lives. For instance, through the Mynews corporate social responsibility initiative “Allowances That Allow”, donation boxes are placed in Mynews outlets to collect loose change that is then channelled to underprivileged students.
Dang started off his business 23 years ago, opening his first traditional newsstand called MAGBIT in December 1996, which still operates in 1 Utama Shopping Centre. The homegrown brand is now the largest convenience chain-store in the country, with more than 500 stores to date.
For the first time in the history of EOY Malaysia awards, female entrepreneurs were given the title EY Women Entrepreneur of the Year Malaysia. CEO of Juris Technologies Sdn Bhd See Wai Hun was awarded for her fintech company that pushes the boundaries of digitalisation while managing director of Sydney Cake House Sdn Bhd Jenny Chuang was recognised for her talent to transform a traditional bakery into a business that embraced technology in reponse to changing customer demands.
“Both have, in their own ways, broken boundaries, challenged traditional mindsets and defined new norms. They are the personification of the unstoppables. In the process, they have driven growth and prosperity, inspired positive change and helped shape a better future for themselves and those around them,” says Philip Rao, Partner, Ernst & Young Advisory Services Sdn Bhd and EOY Malaysia Programme Director
The five award recipients, as well as the overall country award recipient, were selected by an independent panel of judges guided by a set of global standard criteria. They are:
- Tan Sri Datuk Dr Rebecca Sta Maria, Executive Director, Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC)
- Ms Selvarany Rasiah, Chief Commercial Officer, Bursa Malaysia Bhd
- Mr Ganesh Kumar Bangah, Founder and Executive Chairman, Commerce DotAsia Ventures Sdn. Bhd and Chairman, The National ICT Association of Malaysia (PIKOM)
- Datuk Ng Wan Peng, Chief Operating Officer, Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation Sdn Bhd (MDEC)
- Mr Adrian Ng, Group Chief Executive Officer, Mega Fortris (M) Sdn Bhd; EY Master Entrepreneur Of The Year 2017 Malaysia
- Datuk Wan Suraya Wan Mohd Radzi, Secretary General, Ministry of Entrepreneur Development
- Mr Song Hoi-see, Founder and CEO, Plaza Premium Lounge Management Ltd; EY Entrepreneur Of The Year 2018 Malaysia
For more updates, look out for more coverage in The Edge Malaysia soon.